Saturday, February 19, 2011

Networking the thing



NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit

In order to work properly, one of the Sonos in the network needs to be physically connected to a router.  Not only do they get content from the web, but they use the network to create the ‘mesh’ they use to link the zone players.  

This created a problem for me.  The room where I wanted to place this had no phone jack.  This meant I couldn’t put my router in the room without getting a phone line installed.  The router was tucked away behind a couch across the house.   Waiting for the phone company in Chicago is worse than waiting for cable.  We mainly use our mobile phones these days, that wasn’t a big deal until now.   

The fix?  Run the internet through the house’s powerlines.  Now that is pretty cool.   All I had to do was plug these two Netgear boxes in.  One at the router.  One at the stereo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment